Women in STEM
In Canada, women make up less than one quarter of the people employed in STEM careers and less than one fifth of the nuclear sector’s workforce. These statistics point to a large untapped resource. Greater diversity in the STEM workforce would offer significant benefits to Canadians by addressing skills shortages, increasing innovation and capacity, and providing a greater return on human resources investments.
The CNSC contributes to the development of women in STEM careers by making the pursuit of these careers more equitable and achievable for women and an integral part of the CNSC’s culture.
The voices of women - whether members of the public, intervenors in Commission proceedings, or employees of either licensees or the CNSC - are vital to the conversation on nuclear safety and security. As we move forward, it will be key for the nuclear sector to actively open doors to those who have historically experienced barriers.
Meet some of the women in STEM careers at the CNSC
Women in STEM initiative
Championed by CNSC President Rumina Velshi, the Women in STEM initiative was launched in 2019 to support women in STEM careers at the CNSC and elsewhere, and to raise awareness in collaboration with interested partners such as government, industry and academia.
Learn more about President Velshi’s efforts to improve gender equity and diversity in STEM.
“Gender balance isn’t about making room for women by squeezing men out. It’s about making space for everyone by increasing the size of the room.”
CNSC President Rumina Velshi
Speeches and presentations
- February 11, 2021: Remarks by President Rumina Velshi at the OECD NEA meeting on improving gender balance in nuclear energy
- Ms. Velshi discussed the need for real and meaningful action to improve gender balance in the nuclear sector.
- September 29, 2020: Remarks by President Rumina Velshi at the inaugural meeting of the International Gender Champions Impact Group on Gender Equality in Nuclear Regulatory Agencies
- April 26, 2019: Presentation by President Rumina Velshi to TRIUMF’s Board of Management
- March 13, 2019: Keynote remarks by President Velshi to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Federal Women’s Program Advisory Committee (Women’s History Month luncheon)
- March 8, 2019: IAEA International Women’s Day - Inspiring Stories of Women in the Nuclear Field
- February 22, 2019: Remarks by President Velshi at the OPG Women’s Leadership Forum
- September 27, 2018: Remarks by President Rumina Velshi at the Women in Nuclear Conference
- August 28, 2018: Presentation by President Rumina Velshi at the U.S. Nuclear Industry Council USA‒Canada Nuclear Energy Leadership Summit
- July 18, 2018: Keynote remarks by incoming CNSC President Rumina Velshi at the 15th FORATOM-IAEA International Conference on Quality, Leadership and Management in the Nuclear Industry
- Representation of Women on Boards of Directors
- Persistence and representation of women in STEM programs
- Women and Education: Qualifications, Skills and Technology
- Women in corporate Canada: Who's at the top?
- Women in Science
- A Business Case for Hiring Women in the Skilled Trades and Technical Professions
For career seekers
- Date modified: