History of discussion paper DIS-12-04, Regulated Timelines: Proposed Amendments to the Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations and the Uranium Mines and Mills Regulations
- December 17, 2012: The What We Heard report was published.
- August 31, 2012: Period for providing feedback on the comments received has closed.
- August 20, 2012 to August 31, 2012: Invitation to provide feedback on the comments received during consultation is open for 10 business days. View comments received during consultation and invitation to provide feedback on these comments. Note that the comments are posted in the language in which they were received.
- August 10, 2012: Consultation has ended.
- July 10–August 10, 2012: Consultation. An invitation to comment on the document is posted on the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission(CNSC) website for a 30-day period. Read the consultation version of the document, along with Information Bulletin 12-28, for further details.
This discussion paper presents proposed amendments to the Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations and the Uranium Mines and Mills Regulations to include regulated timelines for the regulatory reviews as part of the Government of Canada's Responsible Resource Development plan. The CNSC's legislative authority to make timelines falls under the paragraph 44(1)(v) of the Nuclear Safety and Control Act.
To underline its commitment to timely regulatory reviews and add further certainty to the licensing process, CNSC proposes to include the following timelines in its regulations:
- 24 months for the regulatory review of and Commission Tribunal decision on an application that addresses the requirements of sections 3 and 4 of the Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations and section 15 of the General Nuclear Safety and Control Regulations for a licence to prepare site for a Class I nuclear facility
- 24 months for the regulatory review of and Commission Tribunal decision on an application that addresses the requirements of sections 3, 4 and 5 of the Uranium Mines and Mills Regulations and section 15 of the General Nuclear Safety and Control Regulations for a licence to prepare site and construct a uranium mine and mill
The proposed timelines have been designed to provide timely regulatory review while maintaining safety and effective regulatory oversight.
For questions or information directly related to DIS-12-04, please contact:
Regulatory Policy Directorate
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
P. O. Box 1046, Station B
Ottawa, ON K1P 5S9
Telephone: 613-995-5894 or 1-800-668-5284 (Canada only)
- Date modified: