McClean Lake Mill
AREVA Resources Canada Inc. (AREVA) owns and is licensed to operate the McClean Lake Mill site, located in northern Saskatchewan. The CNSC has full-time staff in Saskatoon and Ottawa who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
- Facility Information
- Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- Disclosure Protocol
- Regulatory Reporting
- Other Key Topics
Location: Northern Saskatchewan
Licensee: AREVA Resources Canada Inc.
Licence issued: July 1, 2009
Licence expires: June 30, 2017
Start of commercial operation: 1999
The McClean Lake Mill is located about 750 kilometres north of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Construction of the McClean Lake Operation began in 1994. Mining and milling of uranium ore from five open-pit mines has been completed. No conventional mining has been carried out at McClean Lake since 2008. Uranium ore mined at the Cigar Lake Mine is processed at the McClean Lake Mill. For more information, visit AREVA's website.
Operating Performance of the McClean Lake Mill
The CNSC produces an annual report on the performance of uranium fuel cycle and processing facilities, which includes the McClean River Mine. The report provides information on events, facility modifications, and areas of increased regulatory focus. It also tracks data on:
- public and worker radiation dose
- lost-time incidents for workers
- environmental monitoring results
- environmental reportable spills and corrective actions taken
- current financial guarantees for future decommissioning costs
Read the report to learn about operating performance of the McClean Lake Mill.
Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- December 20, 2012: CNSC Amends AREVA's McClean Lake Operations Licence
- March 8, 2012: Federal Court of Appeal dismisses McClean Lake Duty to Consult appeal
As part of CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place. These programs include a disclosure protocol developed in consultation with community stakeholders.
- Regulatory Oversight Report for Uranium Mines and Mills in Canada
- Regulatory actions
- Event Reports for Major Nuclear Facilities
Other Key Topics
- Date modified: