SRB Technologies (Canada) Inc.
SRB Technologies (Canada) Inc. (SRB) is licensed to operate a nuclear processing facility, located in Pembroke, Ontario. The CNSC has full-time, dedicated staff who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
- Facility Information
- Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- Regulatory Reporting
- Other Key Topics
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Licensee: SRB Technologies (Canada) Inc.
Licence issued: July 1, 2015
Licence expires: June 30, 2022
Start of commercial operation: 1991
Licensing documentation: SRB’s licence and Licence Conditions Handbook (PDF - Source: SRB)
SRB uses tritium, a nuclear substance, in order to make self-luminous emergency exit signs, various military applications such as landmine markers and other safety products not requiring batteries or other external sources of power.
SRB seals the colourless, odourless tritium gas in small glass tubes coated on the inside with phosphorescent powder. When tiny particles emitted from the decaying radioactive gas come into contact with the powder, light is generated. For more information, visit SRB's website.
Operating Performance of SRB
The CNSC produces an annual report on the performance of uranium fuel cycle and processing facilities, which includes SRB. The report provides information on events, facility modifications, and areas of increased regulatory focus. It also tracks data on:
- public and worker radiation dose
- lost-time incidents for workers
- environmental monitoring results
- environmental reportable spills and corrective actions taken
- current financial guarantees for future decommissioning costs
Read the report to learn about SRB's operating performance.
Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
June 29, 2015: The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Renews SRB Technologies (Canada) Inc.'s Nuclear Substance Processing Facility Operating Licence.
April 27, 2015: Revised notice of public hearing on SRB Technologies’ licence renewal. The hearing will now only take place on May 14, 2015.
February 24, 2015: Notice of public hearing on SRB Technologies’ licence renewal, May 13-14, 2015 in Pembroke
September 8, 2014: SRB submitted an application to renew its operating licence. SRB’s current licence expires on June 30, 2015.
June 30, 2010: CNSC Announces Decision to Renew the Operating Licence for SRB Technologies (Canada) Inc.
- Record of Proceedings - SRB Technologies (Canada) Inc. - Application to Renew the Class IB Nuclear Substance Processing Facility Operating Licence for the Gaseous Tritium Light Source Facility in Pembroke, Ontario (PDF)
Other Key Topics
- Health Studies on Canadian Nuclear Facilities
- Map of Processing and Fuel Fabrication Facilities
- Date modified: