Creation of an external advisory review committee for lessons learned from the Fukushima nuclear incident
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 9, 2011
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has established an external advisory committee to assess the organization’s processes and responses in light of the lessons learned from the Fukushima nuclear incident, which has highlighted the importance of nuclear safety around the world.
Committee members will review the CNSC’s processes including the immediate response to the Fukushima incident, its connections with the rest of government and international organizations and its interactions with the Canadian nuclear sector and its regulated industries. They will also review the CNSC’s communications with affected stakeholders, including governments, other nuclear regulators, and the public. Finally the committee will assess the implications on the CNSC’s regulatory approaches resulting from the international response to Fukushima, such as international stress tests and the International Atomic Energy Agency action plan.
“This committee is comprised of independent experts in energy, innovation, engineering, governance and safety from outside of the nuclear sector,” said CNSC President, Michael Binder. “Thanks to the quality and diversity of their respective expertise, they will bring a distinct perspective to the analysis of the situation. I look forward to their findings.”
Committee members are:
- Kenneth Knox (Chair), President of the Innovation Institute of Ontario following a 27-year career as a senior public servant in the Ontario Government
- Dr. Gilles Patry, President of the Canada Foundation for Innovation and former President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ottawa, preceded by a distinguished academic career
- Henry Wright, former Board member with the Transportation Safety Board of Canada examining aviation, rail, marine and pipeline safety.
The Committee will provide CNSC’s President with its report and recommendations early in 2012.
- Draft terms of reference of CNSC external review committee (PDF)
- External review committee member biographies (PDF)
- Presentation by Executive Vice President Ramzi Jammal to External Advisory Committee
- CNSC information related to Japan earthquake
613-996-6860 or 1-800-668-5284