Process Improvement Initiatives
- January 2009: Release of INFO-0774 -- Environmental Assessment Screening Process at CNSC (PDF)
- October 2008: The transcript and minutes from the August 21 Public Commission Meeting
- September 4, 2008: Notice of Commission Decisions from August 21 Public Commission Meeting
- August 21, 2008: Public Commission Meeting
- August 2008: Stakeholder comments received. Read all comments.
- July 18, 2008: End of consultation period. CNSC compiled all comments received and revised the document, as appropriate.
- June 20, 2008: Draft document out for public consultation and comment. See the initial draft Process Improvement Initiatives for Screening Environmental Assessments
- January-April 2009: Ongoing implementation of EA screening process at CNSC. Information sessions and stakeholder meetings.
About the Process Improvement Initiatives
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) proposed improvements to its screening Environmental Assessment (EA) process to standardize and streamline the process, and to ensure that the complexity of the EA process is appropriate for the level of risk or complexity of the project.
Three main recommendations were included in a draft consultation document:
- Implement a new decision-making process that more effectively reflects the requirements of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act for screening EAs
- Integrate the EA process for complex screening EAs
- Streamline the EA process for smaller and less complex screenings
This consultation document was made available on the Web site to interested parties for comment. The comments received were then posted in their entirety on this Web site. CNSC staff used the comments provided to draft the proposal to the Commission.
The proposed changes to the EA and ensuing licensing process were endorsed by the Commission at the August 21 Public Meeting. CNSC will deliver a more efficient process for screening EAs, ensuring the same level of rigorous scrutiny as in the past while saving time for licensees, Commission members, the public and CNSC personnel.
About the consultation period and comments received
CNSC compiled all comments received and revised the draft document, as appropriate. All comments received were posted to CNSC’s Web site.
At the August 2008 Commission Meeting, all comments were submitted to the Commission, along with the original draft consultation document. The proposals put forth to the Commission included suggested modifications, as appropriate. This document, including CNSC’s responses to public comments, is available upon request.
About the Information Document
CNSC prepared INFO-0774 on the Environmental Assessment Screening Process at CNSC that was approved following the August 2008 Commission Meeting.
Contact CNSC for more information
If you have any questions about the CNSC’s Screening EA process, please contact us at the following coordinates:
Mail: Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Environmental Assessment Division
280 Slater Street
P.O. Box 1046, Station B
Ottawa, ON K1P 5S9