History of discussion paper DIS-12-06, Proposal to Amend the Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances Regulations
- November 2012: Consultation ended.
- November 20, 2012: Period for providing feedback on the comments received has closed.
- November 6, 2012 to November 20, 2012: Invitation to provide feedback on the comments received during consultation is open for 10 business days. View comments received during consultation and invitation to provide feedback on these comments. Note that the comments are posted in the language in which they were received.
- October 22, 2012: Consultation has ended
- August 23 to October 22, 2012: Consultation. An invitation to comment on the document is posted on the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission website for a 60-day period. Read the consultation version of the document, along with Information Bulletin 12–40, for further details.
This discussion paper presents proposed amendments to the Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances Regulations (PTNSR) to update the regulations to reflect changes to international standards for the safe transport of radioactive materials which are detailed in a document published by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA): TS-R-1 Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials.
Currently, the CNSC's PTNSR refer to the 1996 edition of TS-R-1, revised in 2000. The IAEA published a 2009 edition and is in the final stages of publishing a 2012 edition. To ensure Canadian requirements continue to be aligned with current international standards, the PTNSR need to be amended. The 2009 edition is currently being used in many countries and incorporated in regulations for international transport by air and by sea. The 2009 edition contains numerous changes from the 2000 edition, but most are minor in nature, related to the organization of the information.
Additional changes are being considered to address specific transportation issues and to harmonize the PTNSR with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
For questions or information directly related to DIS-12-06, please contact:
Regulatory Policy Directorate
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
P. O. Box 1046, Station B
Ottawa, ON K1P 5S9
Telephone: 613-995-5894 or 1-800-668-5284 (Canada only)
- Date modified: